I always associate my Crockpot with fall and winter but I’ve actually been loving it in the summer!
It’s a great way to have a hot dinner without heating up your house by turning on the stove or oven.
These tostadas are ridiculously easy and totally customizable. Like things spicy? Add jalapeños. Gluten-free? Use corn tortillas. Add guacamole, green chiles, red onion, the sky’s the limit!
The Crockpot chicken is also great for a number of different dishes – tacos, burrito bowls, tex mex salad, or quesadillas.
Get creative and make it your own!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and share it on Instagram. Use #thesimplefoodie, I’d love to see it!
Easy Crockpot Chicken Tostadas
For the chicken:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 jar salsa (or 1.5-2 c. homemade salsa, I recommend my friend Phi’s salsa from her Fast & Easy Five Ingredient Recipes Cookbook)
- 1 tsp each of chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika
- pinch of salt
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Once the chicken is cooked, shred it using two forks and let it set in the juices for a few minutes.
For the tostadas:
- Corn or flour tortillas, toasted in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes.
- Refried beans
- Shredded Lettuce
- Other topping suggestions: tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, jalapeño, green chiles, guacamole
To assemble: spread a layer of beans on the tortilla, top with chicken, lettuce, salsa, avocado, and any other desired toppings.