Why do I love this recipe? Let’s count the ways….
1. It’s the perfect little snacky bar when you want a little sumin’sumin’ sweet after dinner but don’t want to completely ruin your self-satisfaction for having that kale salad at lunch.
2. It only requires five ingredients. That’s it. F-I-V-E. And not like five as in you already had to have made pretzels from scratch with yet another set of five (or more) ingredients.
3. It only takes a quick five minutes to prepare. It does take thirty minutes to freeze but dang, 5 minutes of hands-on time? Doesn’t get much faster than that.
4. I’ve made this recipe three times in the last two weeks and I could easily make it another three times without being like “Can’t….take…any….more!”
5. Salty pretzels, oats, and chocolate. Enough said.
6. Ok, let’s just make them because I want more…
Are you ready for the ingredient list? Here goes:
- Coconut Oil
- Chocolate Chips
The base is oats, pretzels, dates, and melted coconut oil, which get finely blended up in the food processor.
All of THAT gets covered with chocolate (Dark chocolate for me! But you can use semi-sweet.) and more pretzels.
The whole thing takes a quick trip to the freezer to firm up and then boom! Cut that puppy into bars (or eat it straight from the pan with a fork, no judgment here ;) and you’ve got a delicious treat.
If you make this recipe, take a photo and share it on Instagram. Use #thesimplefoodie, I’d love to see it!
No Bake Pretzel Oat Chocolate Bars
- 1 1/2 c. rolled oats*
- 1 c. salted pretzels* + a handful for topping
- 10 pitted dates
- 1/2 c. + 1/2 t. melted coconut oil (use refined coconut oil if you don’t want a slight coconut flavor)
- 1/4 c. (plus an extra handful ;) dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips (use dairy free chips if vegan)
In a food processor, blend the oats, pretzels, dates, and 1/2 c. melted coconut oil until the mixture is very fine (about a minute or so). Line a 9×5 loaf pan with wax paper. Press the oat/pretzel mixture into an even layer in the loaf pan, set in the freezer. In a microwave safe container, melt the chocolate chips and 1/2 t. coconut oil in 30 second increments until completely melted and smooth. Crush up a handful of pretzels for topping. Drizzle the melted chocolate all over the oat/pretzel layer, reserving about 1 tablespoon of melted chocolate. Sprinkle the crushed pretzels over the melted chocolate layter and then drizzle the remaining tablespoon of melted chocolate over the top. Freeze for 30 minutes then slice into 8 bars. Store in the fridge or freezer.
*Use gluten-free oats and pretzels for a gluten-free version.
Inspired by Pinch of Yum’s Raw Salted Chocolate Snack Bars.